Insurance Requirements

Proof of Insurance Requirements

All motor vehicles are required to be insured.

Colorado law requires that if you drive a vehicle on public roads, you must have insurance on that vehicle. Insurance companies are required to be licensed and authorized to sell insurance in Colorado.

**Note** New residents to the State of Colorado, must have Colorado insurance - effective the day you are registering your vehicle.

CRS 42-7-604, requires the State of Colorado to contract with a provider to develop and maintain a database of insured vehicles. Any insurance company that writes vehicle liability policies in Colorado is required to report new policy holders and cancelled policies at least monthly to the provider.

CRS 42-3-105 (1)(d)(l). This law, effective July 1999, states that the County Clerk and Recorder's Office shall not register a motor vehicle unless the applicant has a complying motor vehicle insurance policy pursuant to part 6 of article 4 of title 10, CRS or a certificate of self-insurance in full force.

Acceptable forms of proof of insurance are as follows:
  • The declaration page from the insurance policy.
  • An insurance binder or policy.
  • An insurance card for your vehicle.
  • A faxed copy, our fax number is 303.464.5862
  • Electronic copy via a smart phone
Any of the above mentioned forms of proof of insurance must include:
  • The effective date and expire date of coverage (effective the day you are registering your vehicle)
  • The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
  • The make and year of the vehicle